Saturday, June 30, 2012

Awesome Invisible Children


Coming to the end of our orientation week here in Gulu and I am in complete awe of this program (TEX Program). I knew I loved Invisible Children before I came, but the flame of love has been reignited.  Every single person (no joke) I meet that is involved is beyond qualified for their position, so inspirational, so driven, and so personable. We have toured the Invisible Children main office and MEND headquarters (a tailoring program started in 2007 that supports over 20 former LRA abductees. The women are given a salary and trained on how to effectively save and invest their money. They create high quality bags sold through IC as well as learn the skills to then make clothes and handbags in their free time – products that then help them earn a supplemental income). Jane and I had a dance party with the ladies and already made what I felt was a strong connection with them. I will definitely head back to cut a rug with them again.

Getting the run down in the IC office: Ashley, Jane, Mark, and Debbie

The Group Two Teachers with our tour guide for they day, the super sweet Jemina!

Totally geeking out at this point: I got to meet Jolly Okot, the original visionary of Invisible Children and quite possibly the strongest, most driven, holistic, kind, well rounded woman I know.

First traditional meal out: posho (a maize based 'bread'), boo (delicious greens with a peanut paste sauce), layata (sweet potatoes), muranga (beans), dodo obuga (another type of beans, salty without a paste), mucele (rice), and a plantain based mash.
Entering the MEND facilities



A few of the finished products.


Each bag shares the story of one of the woman who made it.

Betty and I - if you want to read more, check out the article on the INVISIBLEBLOG - I'm a pseudo celebrity!
http://blog.invisiblechildren.com/2012/06/28/teacher-exchange-getting-to-know-gulu/

    
I know if my grandpa were still with us on Earth, he’d want some proof I’m actually “working”, so Grandpa, here’s a paragraph with some “shop” talk. We’ve also gotten an overview on language, history, and my fave, customs and culture, from some amazing Ugandans. It is SUCH a complicated history, all muddled up by British colonization, so in addition to conversations with Ugandans, we also took a lot of time to discuss the effects of this through our personal lenses and the many required readings we were assigned before arriving. I’ve also begun to think deeply about becoming a truly liberating educator, thanks to our assigned Freire and Schor text, Pedagogy for Liberation. Ivan Illich’s “To Hell With Good Intentions,” was another head scratcher. As most engaged learners experience, there are more questions than answers in the learning process, but the discussion and the intellectual stimulation are what matter most. I’m so fortunate and honored to be part of a group of such critical thinkers who challenge my thinking and help me grow as an educator and human being.

Discussin'


Outside of our professional development, we’ve also had some time to get to know the area and people. We’re getting familiar with our cute town and the locals.
Strolling through the market in town

Sharifa diggin' the sugar cane some kids

More market


I’m loving the morning runs with our four day old Gulu Running Club (Who’d a thunk in a group of 10 there’d be six other runners!?!), and seeing the city come alive as the sun wakes. I’ve made a fool of myself at the market and on a boda boda. I’m becoming an expert at the two minute showers and the less preffered, baby wipe bathing approach. I’m loving the local food. I’m loving the sunny days and rainy nights. And I am absolutely loving my roomies. Such a great crew of authentic and interesting characters.
Haha, this is the picture Boscoe (one of our security guards) took in the morning - he zoomed in WAY too much... but there we are: Laura, Jane, Rachel, Ashley, me, and Mark.

Our grounds are old UN grounds. This is the 'party hut', complete with a full bar on the second floor and sinks on the first. Sweet set up and an awesome location to see the sunset.

My first glimpse of a Ugandan sunrise from our house.

Our house and the fabulous people that live in having morning tea and breaky.

Our room - oh yeah, that's a triple bunk bed on the left! Two of my five roomies, Lauren and Beth.


Can’t wait to see what this relatively open weekend brings, as well as my first week in the classroom!!!

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic first week! I'm grateful for your mention of A Pedagogy for Liberation. It's going on my reading list for the summer!

    Looking forward to more posts, and eventual pictures.
    Good luck,
    MCA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you in action! Shared your adventures with Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl! So great to read your posts. Love the pictures...there is so much beauty in the eyes of the children and so much enthusiasm in your Oopma Loompa face.
    I never knew you could write so much! Where have you been hiding that? Ah, that's right, you taught language arts this past year. :)- Love the picture comments (baby got back!)
    God bless you for helping to make sanitary napkins for the women. Never again will I complain about buying ANOTHER box from Target. Oif! Yes, I did slightly vomit in my mouth.
    Can't wait to hear all the stories when you get back. You are coming back right? When you do- I'll be filling your head full of science stuff! ;)
    Take care girlie! Enjoy. Live in the moment. Be safe. (You do stick out like a sore thumb there ya know.)

    ReplyDelete