Thursday, August 23, 2012

What Going to A "Program" Entails: The Priests' 25th Anniversary Jubilee


 If you are ever invited to a "program" in Uganda, plan on not getting anything accomplished the entire day, other than being in awe. Such was the case when we heard there was a Priests' 25th Anniversary Jubilee. I found out about it because my team teacher mentioned there was a "program" the students in our school's dance club would be practicing for. I had been stalking this club for-ev-er attempting to join them (more on this in a future blog), and Alice said they would be practicing in preparation for the "program". She said it was just down the road and our school was invited since it has had a positive relationship with the monastery for years. Hmmm, sounded interesting. I wondered who exactly from the school would be attending. She never mentioned that it was a jubilee mind you, just that there was a program on that day. I figured, we'd teach classes as normal, see the "program" of a few dances and perhaps a few speeches, and then come back to school to mark papers. I figured wrong.
 "Program" apparently means all day celebration and went from the invitational start time of 8am (I assume nobody was actually there at said time) until after 6pm.

We arrived fashionably early at around 10am, when chairs were still being arranged, musical groups still practicing, and people jovially mingling and greeting other friends and notable guests. The 20-30 people I was expecting to check out our dance team and this program turned out to be 200-300 guests all there to celebrate 25 years of service by two priests at this monastery. Expectations FAR exceeded.

Me, mingling and dancing, with some of our students before the service.
 When the formal part started there were, of course, several long winded speeches. I thought speeches were an art form in Japan, and they are, but in Uganda speeches and introduction take on a whole new meaning! Then, one of the priests continued to give a service. It was almost two hours long and pretty powerful, I think. I may or may not have lost interest a fewwwww times.

Then, there was dancing. Group after group of dancing. The group pictured below was my favorite, though.



 I absolutely LOVE when the women get SO excited that they just can't hold in their joy anymore and make the "ayayayayayayay" cry of jubilation! Expect me to randomly attempt said joyful expressions of jubilation, for example at Badger games, weddings, and birthdays. Don't be alarmed, just join in.

Beautiful cakes were made, cut, and served to each guest.



There were some pretty notable guests there, including the guy in the black and white striped shirt. I forget exactly who he was, but some big government official person. Pretty big deal to come  to northern Uganda in Gulu. Everyone went nuts seeing him out there dancing. Awesome!
 Even the priests could cut a rug.

And where there is dancing, there shall be singing.

Lunch began to be served around 3pm. Everyone waited patiently for their turn to be served. We were chillin' for a good hour and half before grubbin'. I didn't mind.

Alice and I

Jane and Mark

Alice recommended I get some traditional celebration garb... next time I'm in Gulu Alice, next time:)

The ridiculously gorgeous church on the monastery grounds.


So, the "program" of the day was completely unexpected and I felt a little weird about leaving students at school while I went to a celebration of two men I've never met, but it was extremely enjoyable and I feel so fortunate to have experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment