Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Recreation Is My Middle Name

It's not really. Michelle is my middle name. But if there was a more apt name I was to be given, Recreation would probably be it. I LOVE being outdoors and doing recreational thangs, so I was stoked (did I really just use stoked as a verb? Thanks, Meagan!) when I found out we were having a team building day with our team teachers at the Recreation Project. I hadn't a clue what this entailed, so come along with me as I revisit the awesomeness that was that day...
First, a double boda ride with Andraya. The first is always the most memorable:)
When we first arrived and none of the Ugandan teachers were there (shocking? doubt it), we played a bunch of group games. Reminded me of all my Sports Camp Counselor Days at the Y and I loved it. The rest of the group loved how enthusiastic I was about group games (sense sarcasm here), but they were totally as into it as I was, clearly.

When most of our team teachers had arrived, we started to do some awesome activities together. Activities that made us think about teamwork, cooperation, perspectives, differentiation, all that good stuff that makes a standard classroom great once they are embraced!

Attempting to get everyone from one side of the 'spiderweb' to the other without touching the ropes.

Unsuccessful attempt here as Ashley makes a ridiculous comment that makes everyone crack up. I later clothes-lined a rope trying to be a show off jumping through an opening that was far too small for me to pirouette through. Whoops.

Way harder than it looks.

Seriously.

OBJECT:  get a ball in a tin can on an uneven log surface starting a good 30 meters away, while two teammates are blindfolded. Again, WAY harder than it sounds or looks. We rocked it, though.

Trust Falls: harder than they look (seeing a theme here at all?)


Almost everyone did these, including Sister Deena!

I was SO excited to see a rock wall! Jane and Rachel, being super cordial...
Ashley and I after an intense race (because all recreational activities are competitive, riiiiiight?)

Reppin' St. Mary's Lacor are me, Alice, and Jane, all ready for the final test of trust...


Makin' the climb











Zip Lining!

 
And this is why Recreation is my middle name!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment