Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Things We Take For Granted


Having lived in a developed country all of my life, there are a ridiculous amount of things I take for granted. I think I do a pretty good job of appreciating the amazing people in my life and I feel very blessed to be surrounded by inspiring, strong, humorous, caring, supportive friends and family. I do not, however, stop to think about the material things I never think twice about having. I can’t say whether or not that’s true for everyone, or whether or not the material things and access truly enhance quality of life, but it’s worth thinking about. Check out the ongoing list I have below to see if you’ve appreciated them recently.
- running water
- hot, running water
- utensils
- internet access
- electricity
- paper
- rubber bands
- photocopy machine
- scissors
- tape
- pretty much any educational resource, especially textbooks
- dairy products
- lady products
- privacy
- garbage cans
- a public sanitation system
- access to books… a LOT of books
- access to health care
- shoes
- dustless roads
- fuel
- a culture that supports an unmarried woman in their late 20’s
- “free” time not spent commuting
Here are a few from my roomies:
- cheap and accessible chocolate (Rachel)
- 24 hour stores (Rachel)
- paved roads (all of our asses are super sore post safari)
- refrigeration and leftovers (Lauren) 
- choice of food at lunch and my own work space(Debbie)
- clean feet, showers with pressure, and a ‘good ‘ol toilet to poo in’ (Beth)
- entertainment shtuff ( Beth)
- not having to worry about a rat in the latrine that is your poo hole (Debbie)

  ... I will also add on just having a toilet to sit on in times of need... I was sick all night and day and a squat toilet is less than enjoyable to run to.
The Squatter, rat free at this instance

Our swanky (seriously) crib from the back - huge plastic container is our water... if it doesn't rain, we don't have any.

*NOTE: On the flip side, there are many things I have become so dependent on at home that are part of our lifestyle that I am grateful I do not need here and can let go of for these mere six weeks such as:
- a car
- car insurance
- TV
- fast food
- make up
- all you can eat buffets … well, they do have them and I have eaten at them, indulgently, but the average Ugandan would not
- budgeting
- the electronic leash side of technology including internet, phone, tv (Lauren)

This is definitely not an all inclusive list on either side, but it does make me think about what different countries and communities value and the effect industrialization and development have on said communities and the individuals within in. You cannot necessarily pick and choose the attributes that come along with development and with all actions, but there are consequences either way. Do you think the development of your home country has been positive, negative, or both?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the perspective. It's always good to get a slap in the face to realize just how damn blessed we are.
    The picture of the toilet was a 'leetle too oogly'...don't ever want to have the runs with that as my saving grace. Ew. You're a rock star!

    ReplyDelete